Starting a Small Business/Start up Business Entity Name.

Dear David‎‎

Start up Business Entity give names to their co by First Name, Last Name and any other name to create Brand/s.

There are nine planets in the Solar System.

Earth, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Mercury, Saturn.

Giving A Startup Co name that to a existing planet name would also be nice ?.

For examples :

Pluto Restaurant
Uranus IT Services Pvt Ltd
Saturn Glass Manufacturers
Mercury Detective Agency
Mars Motor Driving School

What is your opinion ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

First of all, as noted in the Wikipedia article you cited in your question, under IAU definitions, there are eight planets in the Solar System, not nine. Pluto was declassified as a planet in 2006.

I think giving a start-up company the name of a planet can be a good idea in some cases and no so good in others.  There are many factors that should go into selecting a name for a new business. I have a more complete article on my website 7 Tips to Help You Name Your New Business.

Does the name of a planet have some tie-in to your business?  Remember, planets are named after ancient Roman  and Greek gods. Any business named after the planet will also share the name with the Roman god and will have links to the characteristics attributed to that god.  For example, Mercury was the messenger god and often denotes speed.  Neptune was the god of the sea and could tie in well to products or companies that relate to the sea.

How would you use the planet in your logo for your business?  With the exception of Saturn with its distinctive rings, a planet is just a sphere (or in 2D, a circle) so it doesn't offer much help in creating a logo.

Are potential competitors using other planetary names? If so, your use of the name of even a different planet could lead to possible confusion or, at the least, could cause your company to blend in rather than stand out.

If none of those seem like a problem for you, then using the name of a planet in the business name may be a good thing.  Certainly they are simple, generally recognized and easy to spell.  All of those are positive factors.

I hope these observations help clarify your thoughts on the names.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub

I am a business and tax attorney and have spent more than 35 years assisting people in starting a wide variety of businesses. I can answer questions about the basic differences between the various entities available to new businesses, including limited liability companies, corporations, S corporations and partnerships. I can provide guidance in other areas facing start ups, such as hiring employees, signing contracts and obtaining necessary licenses. I can also direct people to sources for answers to specific legal questions which cannot be answered in a forum of this nature.

I have an extensive practice in the mergers and acquisitions area and have been involved in the tax and legal issues on hundreds of business transactions.

Staub Anderson LLC
Illinois business attorneys

Practice Areas
Business Organizations

-Joint ventures
Mergers & Acquisitions
-Buying/selling business
Securities Law
Tax Law
Technology Law
-Software licenses
-Development agreements

Illinois State Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association (former Chairman of the Corporation & Business Law Committee and former Chairman of the Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee; former Executive Committee member, Federal Tax Committee and Chairman of subcommittee on general tax issues); Keystone Foundation (Trustee); Association for Corporate Growth; Midwest Entrepreneur Forum; Midwest Association of Alpha Delta Phi

Commerce Magazine; YLS Journal; ISBA Section of Taxation Newsletter

Harvard Law School, J.D., 1977; University of Illinois, B.S. in Accounting, with highest honors, 1974