Starting a Small Business/Starting a Business

Question
Hi, I am looking for some business ideas. I am looking to start up a business with a friend and am in need of some ideas. We are two very crafty people. Please advise if you have any ideas.

Conor Harkins

Answer
This is always a difficult question to answer, particularly with so little information.  You need to find a combination of what you can do and will enjoy doing for a long time as well as a market of people that want to buy your stuff at a price that makes a profit for you both.

fortunately the internet world makes this trial and error a lot quicker.  As you are arty then go and look at ETSY.COM  and see what is selling.  Look for a gap in the market to see what you could sell.  Ditto in eBay and the market place on Amazon.co.uk  Stay away from markets that have a few really big sellers in them.  Look for niches.  For example one seller started selling really nicely designed laptop cases on eBay, finding a niche that makes them a lot of sales that others are now copying.  They have the first mover advantage and have secured that market.  Chase a new one yourself.

You can also look at fiver.com, guru.com and see what is selling there.

If you do not want to make the item yourself, search for drop shoppers and consolidators that are selling from manufacturers.

It is really research that is going to get you a business set up.

I wish you luck.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister