Starting a Small Business/Startup

I am wanting to start up an aerial photography business. I've came up with a name and designing a logo. That's all I have. I have no idea where to go from here. Not sure if I should start a corporation, or an LLC. I will be the only owner/worker. I am doing this as a side business since I see a great need for this in our area. Not sure the difference between LLCs and Corporations since I've had several people strongly suggest each one other them. I have done things on the side for people but I want to legalize everything and do it the right way. Haven't really done it for people other than close friends or anything. I haven't come from a business background so I am kind of clueless on how to write a business plan or anything of that nature. I'm sure that is all something I can read up on and figure out. I just need to register my business for my next step I would think, since I came up with a name. Just not sure what to register it as. Thank you so much in advance. Looking forward to a response., Josh

There is not a single "right way".  Either a corporation or an LLC will give you similar protection from the liabilities of the business.  There are some advantages unique to each type of entity, but I can tell you that the vast majority of the time in recent years, the LLC wins out as a more flexible structure and one that, as a single member LLC, will allow you to report on the income and expenses directly on Schedule C of your Form 1040 individual tax return, avoiding the need to file an entity-level tax return.

There are several websites that describe the advantages of an LLC as well as the LLC's disadvantages of an LLC.  Perhaps there is something unique to you and your situation that would make one type of entity clearly better, but unless there is some particular reason, it is likely that the form of entity you choose will be fine either way.

Good luck.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub

I am a business and tax attorney and have spent more than 35 years assisting people in starting a wide variety of businesses. I can answer questions about the basic differences between the various entities available to new businesses, including limited liability companies, corporations, S corporations and partnerships. I can provide guidance in other areas facing start ups, such as hiring employees, signing contracts and obtaining necessary licenses. I can also direct people to sources for answers to specific legal questions which cannot be answered in a forum of this nature.

I have an extensive practice in the mergers and acquisitions area and have been involved in the tax and legal issues on hundreds of business transactions.

Staub Anderson LLC
Illinois business attorneys

Practice Areas
Business Organizations

-Joint ventures
Mergers & Acquisitions
-Buying/selling business
Securities Law
Tax Law
Technology Law
-Software licenses
-Development agreements

Illinois State Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association (former Chairman of the Corporation & Business Law Committee and former Chairman of the Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee; former Executive Committee member, Federal Tax Committee and Chairman of subcommittee on general tax issues); Keystone Foundation (Trustee); Association for Corporate Growth; Midwest Entrepreneur Forum; Midwest Association of Alpha Delta Phi

Commerce Magazine; YLS Journal; ISBA Section of Taxation Newsletter

Harvard Law School, J.D., 1977; University of Illinois, B.S. in Accounting, with highest honors, 1974