Starting a Small Business/online business

Question
Hello,

I am a dependent college student that wants to start a online tutoring business and have a few questions. Where do I get/submit a business and tax registration for? I will be living off-campus, so will my rent be tax deductible for operating my business from that location?
Thank you

Answer
The first part of your question, where do you file a business and/or tax registration, the answer is you may not need to register at all. You should check with your local government, but an unincorporated business like an online tutoring business with no other employees generally is not required to obtain a business registration. However, even if you are a sole proprietor, if you operate under a business name other than your own name, you must file a trade name registration with the District of Columbia.

As for the second part of your question -- "so will my rent be tax deductible for operating my business from that location" -- the answer is probably not.  To deduct a portion of your rent, there are several requirements you must meet.  First, you must devote the space exclusively to business on a regular basis. While you don't have to have a separate room for the activities, the part of a room that you use for the activities cannot be used for any other purpose.  Unless you have a separate desk set up just for your online tutoring business, it is unlikely that you will meet the requirement.  Even if you do, the percentage of space needed to sit at a computer would likely be a very small percentage of your total apartment space, so the deduction would be minor.  For more information see Business Use of Your Home.

I hope this helps.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub