Starting a Small Business/more information

Question
Hello David: i contacted you before to ask about starting a business.
I will try and add some information. I would be interested in a couple of businesses. I would like to start selling products online.
I also would like to maybe do something in the tourist industry. I live in western cape breton, a very popular tourist destination. also i am 12 minutes aways from cabot links golf course. cabot links is a new course that is becoming world famous and another course is opening beside it. http://thechronicleherald.ca/travel/287095-golf-digest-hails-cabot-links-in-cb
I have a big house which i could rent out by the week.
I am looking for ideas.
I have computer skills. i am well read. went to university.
i am not sure what else i can add, haha
but i would appreciate any ideas
thanks

Answer
Jerome,

Renting out your house sounds like it might be something to look into since it is located in a popular tourist destination. The internet has made it much easier to let potential renters know about the rental of your house.  

For more ideas, the best thing is to brainstorm.  One way to do that is to look at lists of potential businesses, such as the list at Entrepreneur.com at http://www.entrepreneur.com/businessideas/index.html

Another way to brainstorm is to sit down with a couple of friends who know you pretty well.  They can possibly see ideas that would work.

I personally recommend that you stick to something that you know very well and is relatively low risk.  There is nothing wrong with trying something new and failing, since the lessons learned from failure can lead to great success.  However, young people have a much longer period to recoup their losses from a failure while people closer to normal retirement age my not have enough time to apply the lessons to earn back their losses.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

David  

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub