Starting a Small Business/llc

Question
I am starting a social media magazine. Every day about 3 new articles will appear and each article will have a few images. I want personal protection in case some company says we copied their articles or images illegally or for any other reason. We also want tax advantages. Finally, simplicity of maintenance is important. what do you recommend, LLC, S or something else?

Answer
First of all, if you personally infringe someone's copyright, you can be personally liable for your infringement even if you have a limited liability entity such as a corporation or an LLC.  An entity does offer some protection, particularly if the infringement is done my someone other than you (such as a freelancer hired by the company).  You may want to check out my article How Limited is Limited Liability?.

Either a corporation or an LLC works fine as far as limiting your liability. In that respect, they are basically the same.

As the tax advantages, there are no special tax advantages from operating an LLC, but a single member LLC is treated as a disregarded entity for federal income tax purposes which means that you save time by not having to file a separate return for the LLC (and and you save money if you pay someone to prepare your returns).

Under some circumstances, a regular corporation can reduce taxes, at least on a current basis, because it has its own graduated tax rates which at the lowest levels are lower than the rates on many high income individuals.  That allows a corporation to retain some capital at a reduced after-tax cost. An S corporation can also save taxes under certain circumstances.  All income from an LLC is treated as self-employment income and subject to FICA taxes, while an S corporation can treat amounts in excess of the owner's reasonable compensation as business profits which are not subject to FICA taxes.  

Without knowing your specific tax situation and future plans for the business, it is impossible to generalize that one form of entity is better than another.

For simplicity, an LLC does hold a slight advantage over a corporation. An LLC is not required to hold meetings of members or to maintain corporate minutes. A corporation, the other hand, must hold annual meetings of shareholders to elect directors and annual meetings of directors to elect officers and take any other corporate action. Those meetings must be reflected in minutes which are recorded in the corporation's minute book.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your new business.

David

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub