Starting a Small Business/Start up a company

QUESTION: Hi ! i want to start up a cab company in a developing country like Ghana. But, i want to start not to own , but register car owners into my network like my company and monitor the positions of the vehicles and connect them with clients (example: Uber) Please, tell me how to come about this plan and actualize my goal. Thanks

ANSWER: First of all you need to review what restrictions a developing country will place on your company. This will include legal, social, technical and environmental.  I doubt if uber exists in Ghana and you need to check availability of wi fi and smart phones first.

Now get out paper and pen and start to list or map out all the different sections of your company that you need to complete before you can start.  This would include such things as acquiring drivers, setting up systems, finding customers etc.  Some thought and a little refining should give you a plan of attack.

Now get yourself a business plan structure and start plugging in the details from your action plan.

Now you are ready to sort out the legal, tax, insurance and financing details.

Once this is done start setting up your company.

Good luck.

QUESTION: I have seen all restrictions and Uber plans to start up in Ghana in the nearest future,  but Internet is still an issue in Africa,  so I have the idea of using hotlines to make booking,  but I don't own the cars,  car owners register with my company and I just collect a service charge.  What do you advice on this development

Thank you for your review.

I understand that in many African countries that smartphones are more prolific than "anchored" phones.

You need to do two things:
Find drivers to register with you.
Make it worth their while by finding lots of customers that they cannot find.

You also need to clarify your business model (google this for some ideas) - how you aim to operate.

You also need to decide where your income is coming from, how and how much.

If smartphones are prevalent, or tablets (not so likely) then an app might be the answer fronting onto your database.  use guru or ondesk to get a quote on producing this (give loads of info to the freelancer so you get an accurate quote)

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister

If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you cannot be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer yours! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 yearís management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

A prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement.

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.