Starting a Small Business/Reselling chocolates purchased in bulk

Question
Hi. Can I buy chocolates in bulk and then resell them to my coworkers and friends?  Thanks. Ester.

Answer
Ester,

Buying any food in bulk and repackaging it in smaller quantities requires handling the food, so it is almost always subject to both state and local health laws and regulations. Some states and local health agencies have even shut down children selling lemonade or homemade cupcakes.  While those are extreme examples, food-borne illnesses are a serious health risk and we all benefit from the regulation of food products.

And, yes, chocolate is a food.

I strongly suggest that you contact a lawyer who is familiar with the food handling laws in your particular state and locale before you proceed any further.  He or she can advise you whether your particular plans require inspection and/or licensing.

Good luck.

David

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub