Starting a Small Business/Updating Corporate Filing Info

Hi David,

I own a single-member LLC and would like to open a new account with a local bank.  But, identification requirements have become much stricter since I opened my current business bank account, years ago.  I understand that they will check the PA Dept. of State website in order to verify my company as a valid business entity and myself as the business owner.  Unfortunately, the PA dept. of state website, for whatever reason, does not list any officers or owners on my company's profile.  

So, that being the case, the bank will require me to provide a certified copy of my corporate filings with the dept. of state (in PA), listing me as the sole owner.  But, all I have in my records is my original Operating Agreement, not one certified and return from the state.

I've checked with the PA dept. of state, and I've found how to order a certified copy.  But, I see that the information listed there does not list our current address.  (We've moved within the state since that time.)  This is frustrating, since we pay corporate taxes every year, so the PA Dept. of Revenue has our current address.  But, it apparently does not get updated automatically in the corporate filings website.

So, long story short (too late), I'm wondering if you can tell me how to update my address with the PA dept. of state, and/or how to get them to list me as the business owner on their website.  

Thanks for your time and advice.

The address shown is the address of the registered office (where the registered agent is located).  

Are you the registered agent for your LLC?  If so, you should file a Change of Registered Office form

I hope this answers your question.

Starting a Small Business

David K. Staub

I am a business and tax attorney and have spent more than 35 years assisting people in starting a wide variety of businesses. I can answer questions about the basic differences between the various entities available to new businesses, including limited liability companies, corporations, S corporations and partnerships. I can provide guidance in other areas facing start ups, such as hiring employees, signing contracts and obtaining necessary licenses. I can also direct people to sources for answers to specific legal questions which cannot be answered in a forum of this nature.

I have an extensive practice in the mergers and acquisitions area and have been involved in the tax and legal issues on hundreds of business transactions.

Staub Anderson LLC
Illinois business attorneys

Practice Areas
Business Organizations

-Joint ventures
Mergers & Acquisitions
-Buying/selling business
Securities Law
Tax Law
Technology Law
-Software licenses
-Development agreements

Illinois State Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association (former Chairman of the Corporation & Business Law Committee and former Chairman of the Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee; former Executive Committee member, Federal Tax Committee and Chairman of subcommittee on general tax issues); Keystone Foundation (Trustee); Association for Corporate Growth; Midwest Entrepreneur Forum; Midwest Association of Alpha Delta Phi

Commerce Magazine; YLS Journal; ISBA Section of Taxation Newsletter

Harvard Law School, J.D., 1977; University of Illinois, B.S. in Accounting, with highest honors, 1974