Starting a Small Business/I have good ideas that I want to pursue, just really having trouble getting started.

Question
Hello Lee,

I have a lot ideas that I want to pursue. And I've strategically ordered the ones that I feel I can successfully produce early on in my career alone or with few partners with not a lot of capital, to the ones that I would I would really have to partner up with someone to accomplish and would cost a lot of money to produce. Now I understand the key and the first most important thing with my ideas is have them patented. The entire patent process is grueling. It's very expensive to hire an attorney to do it and it will be tortuous to do it on my own and I don't want to risk making a huge mistake. I'm frustrated struggling to save the money to hire an attorney and I need to find a way. Are there any outfits that would offer grants, donations, or anything to someone in my place? Social gatherings where I could find these individual people or organizations and outfits that are interests in granting or investing in someone like me? I don't really know many people and I'm finally realizing how important it is to network so I'll really put myself out there for the slightest options. If anyone knows where I could find this help please let me know, look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

AJ

Answer
I would suggest that your first call should be the SBA or Small Business Association.  They will offer you free guidance and advice.  The advisers are volunteer experienced business people.

Grants: there are major sites that consolidate grants available and a quick google will find them.  Many of them email suitable grants to you as they become available.  You can contact me on www.BusinessPlanNow.com if you need help in writing your grant.

You should also look at sites such as kickstarter to see if you can offer one or more of your products to potential micro investors.

Before all of this you need to sit down and plan what you want to do in the next few years so that you do not scatter gun your product production.  Using a stepped, gradual process will lower your costs.

Starting a Small Business

Lee Lister