Steering Column Repair/Ignition rack and sector gear 1975 k5

Question
I have a 1975 K5 with tilt. All time 4x4 and a 1999 suburban 350.  The rack gear broke. It was the original 7 tooth with a 6 tooth sector gear. It seems that the 7 gear rack gear is no longer available except in a replacement kit ($150). Is it ok to use the 6 tooth rack gear, and if so is it ok to leave the 6 tooth sector gear in or do you need to replace it with the 5 tooth gear? My husband put in the 6 tooth rack gear with the original 6 tooth sector gear and it seems to start fine. I just want to make sure it will be ok for the long term before we reassemble the steering column.  Thank You!!

Answer
Hi Keri:
You will be fine with the exception of possibly not having the accessories position (all the way back).  However, I don't think the vehicle you had used to 7 tooth rack.  The difference is that the bottle opener end of the rack gear is a closed section.  In a 1975 K5, I'm pretty sure they were already using the 6 tooth.
None the less, if it's working then you're fine and there will be no long term issue.  If it was the wrong rack, it wouldn't work properly (start, but not shut off, etc

Doug
www.steeringcolumnservices.com

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan