Steering Column Repair/Recent Heater Core Repair and loose steering column

Question
QUESTION: I recently had my heater core replaced because of leakage and failure. Now that it has been replaced I seem to have at least a one inch amount of play in the column. Could the two be related?????

ANSWER: Hi Stanley:
It doesn't sound like they are related, but tell me what kind of vehicle we are talking about & I can look up the procedure to determine what may have happened or been left loose.

Doug

QUESTION: It's a Dodge Ram 1500, 2002

Thanks

ANSWER: Thanks Stan:
On that particular vehicle, the entire steering column and dashboard need to be removed to accomplish that repair.  So with that said, try to describe the "one inch of play in the steering column" you are referring to.  Are you talking about the tilt mechanism being loose, travel in the steering wheel before the wheels respond, the whole column moving in the dash?  The problem may be related, but because I can't feel your issue, I need to know a little more detail.

Thanks

QUESTION: The inch play is steering control. It seems to take and extra amount before engagement.

Thanks

Answer
The only thing connected to a problem like that and the removal of the column would be if they did not tighten the bolt that secures the column to the steering gearbox intermediate shaft.  Have them double check the connection and tightness of that bolt and universal joint.  Sometimes it gets put in finger tight and forgotten to be tightened.  Otherwise, the play you are experiencing is inside the gearbox and can often be adjusted.

Good luck
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan