Steering Column Repair/Steering Wheel Column

My husband and I was picking our daughter up today and when I turned into the school the steering wheel was really tight and made a loud squeaking noise. He checked the fluid and seen that it was low, so we purchase more and he filled it up. On our way home it loosened up a little bit, but when we turned into our parking lot it tightened back up again and was making the noise. Could this possibly mean we need to get a new steering wheel column or unit?

Hi Rachel:
Sorry about your car.  No, it actually sounds like you have a power steering leak somewhere in the system.  that could be anything form a small rubber hose to a complete rack & pinion system, (but not a steering column).  The part(s) that are causing this problem are under the hood or under the car and you will need to have a mechanic check it to determine what has sprung a leak.  Once again, it may be as small as $25 or as large as $500, but no one can tell until they determine which part is leaking.
I hope this helps you

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help