Steering Column Repair/shifting lever

2002 tilt steering f250 diesel 7.3 shifting was loose for a while now shifter is totally flopping all over no connection i tightened the torque screws underneath but its still flopping all over

Hello Glenn:

Sorry about your truck.
It sounds like the shift tube itself has broken.  A very common problem.  You will need both the broken tube as well as the inner shaft that bent and caused the tube to break.  We sell both the parts and the instructions on how to replace it.  I would suggest you first remove the upper covers to verify that is the problem.  Then if you do see that it is broken, here are the links for both the parts and the step by step details of how to replace it.  If it is not broken, I woudl look at the cable next.

Shift Replacement Kit

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help