Steering Column Repair/steering column switch and shift lever

Question
I have a 1990 f150 automatic with tilt. My shift lever will not go in reverse or park and the same time it quit the key would not go to the start position and engage the motor. The key will go to on, off, and acc. Would a broken actuator cause the shifter to only go in neutral and overdrive and keep the switch from engaging the starter also or should I look for another problem? Thank you for any help you can offer.   Steve

Answer
Hi Steve:

Sorry about your truck
I think you are on the right track.  As this is the most common problem with that design and it does affect both the locking mechanism for the shifter as well as the start position of the ignition, I think you have a pretty good chance that you have a broken actuator causing this situation.
If you do not know how to disassemble the column to that point, our company has instructions (for a small fee) that will walk you though it step by step with photos.
Actuator replacement instructions

Good luck

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan