Steering Column Repair/Tilt wheel won't stay in a position

Question
My daughter just bought a 89 Chevy Silverado pickup.  The tilt steering column won't stay in any position...it freely moves and down at all times.  Was wondering if this is a easy fix or whole new steering column.  Thank you for any help!rpekf

Answer
Tilt housing for GM
Tilt housing for GM  
Hi Deb:

There are a couple of reasons why it will not stay in any position.  All are repairable but it comes down to how much you want to invest in this column.  There is a pin that 2 levers grab onto to determine the tilt position.  Either the pin comes out or the housing that holds the pin breaks.
If the pin comes out, it can easily be slid back into place.  If the housing breaks, then the column needs to be rebuilt with a new housing.  I am attaching a picture of the part we are talking about, but you will most likely need to check with a mechanic to show you where on the column this part is and determine what happened.  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan