Steering Column Repair/Airbag/steering wheel removal

How do you take steering wheel apart to get to air bag, horn, cruise control?(  2005 ford freestar van. Thanks

Ford wheel removal photo
Ford wheel removal pho  
Hello John:

The steering wheel pack comes off by means of a pinion screw mounted in the steering wheel.  If you remove the lower small cover on the bottom of the steering wheel, you will have access to a couple of electrical connectors and also be able to see the hex head of the pinion screw.  I believe it is 7mm.  I would suggest a power tool to unthread this once you break it free as it takes many, many turns to release the wheel to the point that it comes off.  Once off, you can remove the entire rear cover to remove and access the airbag.

I hope this helps

I am attaching a picture of a similar design Ford used on their Windstar, but it shows you the internal access after the cover is removed.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help