Steering Column Repair/Airbag/steering wheel removal

Question
How do you take steering wheel apart to get to air bag, horn, cruise control?(  2005 ford freestar van. Thanks

Answer
Ford wheel removal photo
Ford wheel removal pho  
Hello John:

The steering wheel pack comes off by means of a pinion screw mounted in the steering wheel.  If you remove the lower small cover on the bottom of the steering wheel, you will have access to a couple of electrical connectors and also be able to see the hex head of the pinion screw.  I believe it is 7mm.  I would suggest a power tool to unthread this once you break it free as it takes many, many turns to release the wheel to the point that it comes off.  Once off, you can remove the entire rear cover to remove and access the airbag.

I hope this helps

I am attaching a picture of a similar design Ford used on their Windstar, but it shows you the internal access after the cover is removed.

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan