Steering Column Repair/columm shifter

Question
I have a 75 k20 Chevy, I got off work andstarted my truck. I went to put it in drive but it won't budge pass neutral. I tried pulling the shifter and greasing the bearings buy no help. What else could cause this?

Answer
Hi Alysia:
Sorry about your truck.
I would continue to check the linkage all the way to the transmission.  Sometimes its as simple as a cable binding against the linkage under the hood and sometimes its the linkage under the truck right next to the transmission.
Those are my suggestions.  I don't think it's in the column, but to determine that you will need to disconnect the linkage just outside the firewall where the column ends and then check to see if the shifter has full travel.  If it does, then the problem is outside the truck.  If it doesn't then the problem is indeed in the column.

I hope this helps
Good luck
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan