Steering Column Repair/columm shifter

I have a 75 k20 Chevy, I got off work andstarted my truck. I went to put it in drive but it won't budge pass neutral. I tried pulling the shifter and greasing the bearings buy no help. What else could cause this?

Hi Alysia:
Sorry about your truck.
I would continue to check the linkage all the way to the transmission.  Sometimes its as simple as a cable binding against the linkage under the hood and sometimes its the linkage under the truck right next to the transmission.
Those are my suggestions.  I don't think it's in the column, but to determine that you will need to disconnect the linkage just outside the firewall where the column ends and then check to see if the shifter has full travel.  If it does, then the problem is outside the truck.  If it doesn't then the problem is indeed in the column.

I hope this helps
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help