Steering Column Repair/GM 182 column shift

I have a 1982 foretravel RV. The column shift appears to not be sensing the neutral position to start. I am stuck on a trip in the middle of nowhere and need to start my RV. Can I bypass the neutral switch?

Hello Grant:
sorry about your troubles.
Yes, you can bypass the neutral switch.  It should be located on the base of the column near the floor.  If it uses GM wire colors, you are looking for a 2 wire plug with 10 gauge yellow (or purple) wire plug.  Simply remove the plug and connect those two same color wires with a jumper.  That will bypass the switch.  BE CAREFUL as it will now start in ANY gear!!!

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help