Steering Column Repair/GM 182 column shift

Question
I have a 1982 foretravel RV. The column shift appears to not be sensing the neutral position to start. I am stuck on a trip in the middle of nowhere and need to start my RV. Can I bypass the neutral switch?

Answer
Hello Grant:
sorry about your troubles.
Yes, you can bypass the neutral switch.  It should be located on the base of the column near the floor.  If it uses GM wire colors, you are looking for a 2 wire plug with 10 gauge yellow (or purple) wire plug.  Simply remove the plug and connect those two same color wires with a jumper.  That will bypass the switch.  BE CAREFUL as it will now start in ANY gear!!!

Good luck
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan