Steering Column Repair/ignition/tilt steering column

I have a 1975 Chevrolet pickup 2wd tilt steering column that someone wired the starter straight to the battery.  It burned up the solenoid the alternator and the module in the distributor.  I replaced all those components but when I turn the key there is not hardly any resistance and when I barely turn the key the starter engages and won't stop engaging. If i try to turn the key back a little bit to stop the starter from engaging it shuts the engine off completely. I took apart the column to see if the actuator cage or rod were broken and they were not. The neutral safety switch is not used on the column because I have a floor shifter hooked up its connected to that shifter on the floor.

GM ignition switch from
GM ignition switch fro  
Hi Tracy:
sorry about your truck.  It sounds like the ignition switch itself is bad.  this is the electrical part, not the cylinder you put the key in.  It is located on the outside of the column, mounted just above your knees on the top of the steering column tube.  I am attaching a picture of the part you are looking for.  I'm quite sure if you replace the switch, you will solve your problems.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help