Steering Column Repair/steering wheel tilt lever broke off

QUESTION: How do you replace a steering wheel tilt lever that has broken off under the steering wheel.  I recently replaced my radio control switches in the steering wheel.  I have basic skills but this really has turned into a mess.  Now that I have all the steering buttons back on and working I was putting the trim back around the steering wheel and the lever actually broke off underneath the steering wheel.  I see there is a star bit there and assume it is spring loaded.  Just not sure where to get the part and the ease of completing this project.  Thank you for your time.  I have a 2006 GMC sierra 3500 4x4 SLT 6.6 diesel.

ANSWER: Hi Stephen:
Sorry about your truck
Is it possible for you to post (or send) a couple of pictures of the star bolt you are referring to and a picture of the broken lever.  There are multiple column designs and I want to make sure we are talking about the same part and procedure.  Once I see the lever, I should be able to tell you where to get one as well.  Our company has many of these too.

Doug is a good email address if you want to work directly with us there

steering wheel
steering wheel  

steering wheel
steering wheel  
QUESTION: here are the photos.  I am trying to get a good picture of the star head.  I will also send more to the email.  Thanks

GMC steering column
GMC steering column  
Hi Stephen:
OK.  The photos and the vehicle ID were enough.  Here is a picture of the exploded view of your column.  I think you are after parts 30 and 59. I am also attaching a
parts breakdown of steering column for reference.  The 2 part numbers begin with 26........ and are available directly from any GM dealer.

I hope this helps
Steering column Services

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help