Steering Column Repair/steering wheel tilt lever broke off

Question
QUESTION: How do you replace a steering wheel tilt lever that has broken off under the steering wheel.  I recently replaced my radio control switches in the steering wheel.  I have basic skills but this really has turned into a mess.  Now that I have all the steering buttons back on and working I was putting the trim back around the steering wheel and the lever actually broke off underneath the steering wheel.  I see there is a star bit there and assume it is spring loaded.  Just not sure where to get the part and the ease of completing this project.  Thank you for your time.  I have a 2006 GMC sierra 3500 4x4 SLT 6.6 diesel.

ANSWER: Hi Stephen:
Sorry about your truck
Is it possible for you to post (or send) a couple of pictures of the star bolt you are referring to and a picture of the broken lever.  There are multiple column designs and I want to make sure we are talking about the same part and procedure.  Once I see the lever, I should be able to tell you where to get one as well.  Our company has many of these too.

Doug

info@steeringcolumnservices.com is a good email address if you want to work directly with us there

steering wheel
steering wheel  

steering wheel
steering wheel  
QUESTION: here are the photos.  I am trying to get a good picture of the star head.  I will also send more to the email.  Thanks

Answer
GMC steering column
GMC steering column  
Hi Stephen:
OK.  The photos and the vehicle ID were enough.  Here is a picture of the exploded view of your column.  I think you are after parts 30 and 59. I am also attaching a
parts breakdown of steering column for reference.  The 2 part numbers begin with 26........ and are available directly from any GM dealer.

I hope this helps
Doug
Steering column Services
www.steeringcolumnservices.com

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan