Steering Column Repair/Sterring column disassembly

I am getting ready to replace a wiper switch into a 1996 Ford Thunderbird.  My question is how hard is it to take apart the column to expose the part that I need to, install it and then reassemble the steering column?  It also has a drivers side airbag in the column.  The vehicle belongs to my mother and she is on a fixed income and I am trying to save her a little money.

Thanks for any assistance.

Push release pin
Push release pin  

Hi George:
That's nice of you to do for your Mom.  
This is an incredibly easy job.  Remove the upper and lower covers.  You will need to release and remove the lock to get the lower cover off.  To do this, turn the key to "on" and push the release tab on the lock through the access hole in the lower column cover.
Once the covers are off, remove the 2 screws that secure the wiper (multifunction) switch and unplug the wires.
That's it!
No airbag, no steering wheel, just screws and a release pin.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help