Steering Column Repair/Pontiac AZTEK 2002

My controls on the steer wheel for the radio adjust the radio with every turn. Is there something I can do to order new ones, correct or fix the current ones or just disconnect them from the radios.

Sincerely Joe Boyer

Pont clockspring w/ radio controls
Pont clockspring w/ ra  
Hello Joe:

It sounds like the controls in the column (or steering wheel) are damaged and causing this condition due to shoring out.  Aside from disassembling the column to determine the exact component that is failing (and there are 4 major parts that it could be), your best bet is to simply disconnect the steering wheel function for the radio controls.
The connector you are looking for will be located about knee height on the column behind the knee bolster panel (you need to remove that panel to access the connector).
The connector is the large blue on shown in the photo attached.  The yellow one if for the airbag so be cautious of that one and DO NOT disconnect that one.  Once disconnected, everything including the radio should still work fine but you will not be able to use the steering wheel functions for that system.
I hope this helps you
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help