Steering Column Repair/2000 Chevy S-10 horn problem

The horn works when the button on the key fob is pressed but not when pushing on the steering wheel.  Is this a fairly easy fix or should it be left to a professional?  If it's fairly easy, I would appreciate a how-to.  Thanks.

Hi Mike:
The horn itself is good as proven by the fob.  The problem lies in the steering column or in the horn circuit.  The first step in checking it out is to remove the airbag and see if you can get the horn to sound by grounding the horn contact inside the steering wheel.  If this seems too dangerous or unfamiliar to you then I would seek a competent mechanic. It doesn't sound like a complicated fix, but it could get expensive if the multifunction switch or airbag (with horn
contacts) are at fault

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help