Steering Column Repair/remove ignitonswitch clynder

my switch is in the off or lock position and will not move to the on position to remove can you help 1997 chevorlet truck 1500

Hello Jimmy:

That problem is quite common.  As the lock is bad and in need of replacement, you will need to force it to the 'ON' position with some channel lock pliers.  Make sure the battery is disconnected as it may get stuck in the start position during this process and you do not want to damage the starter.  
You may have to break the plastic bezel off the lock to grab the lock housing 'carefully' and rotate it enough to access the release pin hole.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help