Steering Column Repair/1996 Ford Thunderbird Steering Column

I have had to unscrew the white block ignition switch and work it by hand to starta and stop the engins since something inside the steering column which operats the switch snapped and left the engine running. Will the plastic gizmo  you sell fix my problem, or would it be easier to fit a second-hand column?

Hi David:

Sorry about your car.  It sounds like you have a broken rack actuator gear.  The pin comes out on the end you cannot see.  We have recently uploaded pages and a description of how to rebuild the upper portion of a Ford steering column.  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions on our website. Although the example is for a Ford Mustang, the column is identical to yours

I hope these instructions can help you.  Lastly, if you need parts to repair this column go to the Parts section of our website, click on this link:
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help