Steering Column Repair/bypassing vats system on '96 buick regal

Can you show me how an owner can bypass the vats system on a '96 buick regal custom without an ohms meter or paying a mechanic to do it? It won't start unless I turn the key twice,leave it on for 10 mins. then go back and sneek up on it and turn the key and it will start. Seems like it has a mind of it's own. I'm tired of geting stuck out and it won't start. Also tell me where I can buy the parts I need to bypass system. Thanks.

Hi Sandra:

We have recently uploaded pages and a description of how to bypass the VATS system on GM vehicles that have the chip on the key.  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions with photos(for a small fee).

I hope these instructions help you.  If not, please contact me again for more information.
Lastly, if you need parts to repair this column simply email us on our "Contact Us / Order Parts" page and we will get back in touch with you personally

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help