Steering Column Repair/lock pin and ignition key wont go to locked position

I am trying to reassemble a steering column on a 1984 chevy s10,non tilt, I am at the point of trying to get the ignition in and operating, It will not turn to the lock position and the lock pin will not come up...I don't have the  column spring clip in to hold everything together yet.  but  the column is bolted in place... I cannot get the two rods that go to the lock pin and neutral safety switch to operate..How can I make sure I have it assembled right?

Hi Jim:

The best way to assemble the non tilt columns is to assemble the upper housing with the ignition rack gear, actuator rod and lock cylinder all in your lap first.  Take the electrical ignition switch off the tube at the bottom allowing the rod to be free.  Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the upper lock housing and take it all completely off the column.  Once free, you can assemble the lock cylinder and gears in the proper timing while making sure the locking pin moves when it should.  Once the lock is back in the housing and everything works in your hand, slide the assembly (with the rod hanging out) onto the tube.  Install the 4 bolts, fasten it into place and then install your dimmer, turn signal and ignition switches.  That's how we do it.

I hope that help you

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help