Steering Column Repair/Steering column

I bought parts to replace a turn signal switch in the tilt column of a 1990 Cadillac Seville. I have never done this before but I am a fairly good mechanic. I have plenty of tools but maybe not all that I need for the job. I took the column apart piece by piece as instructed by my cadillac repair manual. Seemed to go just fine until I had all the parts out of the way that were required and then I bumped the upper shaft. It fell back out of the bearing and possibly twisted a bit. When I try to put it back together, the shaft ends up being too short to get the steering wheel on. I can pull it out further by hand, but I have no way to hold it in place. Not sure if a pin is missing or what? Frustrated!

Hi Dave:

I'll help you finish it, but you need to tell me if you have a telescopic column or not.  Very different answers depending on the design you have.

You can email me directly at if you want to work outside this forum.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help