Steering Column Repair/bright lights

QUESTION: 1985 Monte Carlo LS. Took apart steering column tightened the 4 screws, reassembled it but bright light switch not clicking or working, also steering wheel doesn't lock and still has a little play. Its not as smooth as it was. Do the bearings have a housing or are they pressed they seemed to be a little loose. I pack with them with grease.

ANSWER: Hello Gabriel:

It's very difficult for me to determine what went wrong during your reassembly without actually seeing your column.  There are 2 bearing in the tilt housing and often one of these goes bad.  There are also specific procedures to reassemble the upper bearing retainer.  Based on your description of 'not being smooth", I would guess either of those problems exist.
Regarding the dimmer, very often the rod falls out of the switch at the bottom of the column while you are working on it.  It needs to be put back into place in the dimmer switch during reassembly (you might be able to put it back in without taking things apart)
Regarding the steering wheel not locking--most likely the locking pin preload spring has come out of place of the gear so the pin isn't moving in and out like it should.

The best I can do is offer you instructions our company sells that shows you every step of the repair you just did.  You may have to take it all apart again so having the right procedure next to you will help you understand what to avoid and how to fix these problems.

Here is the webpage for those instructions.

I hope this all helps
Good luck

QUESTION: Thanks I found the lock problem but the bright light rod fell out is it at the bottom of the column under the dash?

Hi again Gabe:
The rod can be put back without taking anything apart.  Push the rod up from the bottom where it has come dislodged and then push the dimmer switch in by hand.  This will allow you to put the rod back into the hole where it belongs on the switch.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help