Steering Column Repair/1986 Ford F150 actuator on steering column

QUESTION: I have gotten to the point of reinstalling the new actuator arm on my 86 F150. My problem is it wont go all the way in. What can I do? How can I fix it?

ANSWER: HI Delynn:

The only thing that prevents the actuator from sliding all the way in would be the shift bowl being out of position (or the release lever on a standard transmission).
If yours is an automatic, make sure the shifter is all the way up into park when you are sliding the rack in.
If yours is a standard transmission, push the key release trip button on the bottom of the column when you are sliding it in.

I hope this helps

QUESTION: I had it all the way in park when I took everything off including shifter to get to actuator. It is an automayic shifter is on the column. How do I make sure its in park without shifter? I cant put it back on til. Avtuator is insalled. You are a grest help. I kove this site@

I can't walk you through the steps one by one here, but our company has instructions (for a small fee) with pictures on how to replace the actuator.  It sounds like you went a little too far taking it apart, so you will need to reinstall the lower end (with the shift bowl) and then our instructions will take all the way to the end.
Here is the link for those instructions if you decide you want to purchase them.

Actuator replacement instructions

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help