Steering Column Repair/steering on 81 cj7 jeep

Question
i have a 1981 cj7 jeep. Pulled steering wheel to replace turn signal switch and key lock cylinder, when i put it back together there is a lot of slack in steering column. Steering wheel has movement from side to side, up and down. Is this in the tilt wheel part or what? Thanks for any information for this problem.

Answer
Hi Jim
You don't say if it is tilt or non-tilt but my guess is that the upper bearing race and retainer were not reinstalled properly.  We have instructions (for a small fee)on our company website that's how you step by step how it needs to go back together
Www.steeringcolumnservices.com

I hope this helps you

Good luck
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan