Steering Column Repair/81 Chevy Cheyenne

Hi, Mr.Gan I bought a OLD truck and its a 3speed on the column I was teaching my 15 yr old nephew to drive and he shifted hard on a hill anyhow when we left next day it popped and we only have second and third... I am sure it's the linkage but a pin fell out of my steering column it was broke about an inch long and had a ball on the end as if it would take a pin..???? Anyhow the transmission is fine it can be put in reverse or first from it in the column or what????? Thanks for your time and help I have looked everywhere for videos no luck.          Thomas

Hi Thomas:
Sorry about your truck.  
It sounds like the tip of the shift lever itself has broken off.  Can you post a picture of the part in a reply on this post or send it to me directly so I can see it?  Then, I can most likely tell you what it is and help you resolve this issue.
My email is

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help