Steering Column Repair/car stolen/recovered

Question
I have a 1994 buick skylark that someone attempted to steal by breaking a screwdriver off inside the ignition. needless to say, it destroyed it. I was able to have an ase cert. mechanic get it to where the gearshifter moves and the steering column is unlocked but when he (with a screwdriver) starts the car it starts then dies... cant keep it running. he thinks its the anti theft system but doesn't know how to bypass it. the car is an automatic and has a regular-type key not a chip-type key. Please help!!!! I am trying to move and cant even gather boxes without a car!!! UGH! p.s: he also removed the key/lock cylinder.and I think it has an airbag too. hope ive given enough info.

thanks, Sue

Answer
Hi Sue:

Sorry about your car.
If your car does not have an antitheft systems, then it's most likely that all that has happened is the thief simply popped a fuse for the 'run' circuit of your car.  Open the hood, locate the fusebox and check all of the little fuses that say 'ign'.  One of them is probably blown.

If you car does have an antithesft system, you will need to replace the lock cylinder assembly and go through the re-learn process for the new lock assembly.  I looked up your car and it does not appear you have this style, but I could be wrong.

I hope these suggestions help
Good luck
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan