Steering Column Repair/car stolen/recovered

I have a 1994 buick skylark that someone attempted to steal by breaking a screwdriver off inside the ignition. needless to say, it destroyed it. I was able to have an ase cert. mechanic get it to where the gearshifter moves and the steering column is unlocked but when he (with a screwdriver) starts the car it starts then dies... cant keep it running. he thinks its the anti theft system but doesn't know how to bypass it. the car is an automatic and has a regular-type key not a chip-type key. Please help!!!! I am trying to move and cant even gather boxes without a car!!! UGH! p.s: he also removed the key/lock cylinder.and I think it has an airbag too. hope ive given enough info.

thanks, Sue

Hi Sue:

Sorry about your car.
If your car does not have an antitheft systems, then it's most likely that all that has happened is the thief simply popped a fuse for the 'run' circuit of your car.  Open the hood, locate the fusebox and check all of the little fuses that say 'ign'.  One of them is probably blown.

If you car does have an antithesft system, you will need to replace the lock cylinder assembly and go through the re-learn process for the new lock assembly.  I looked up your car and it does not appear you have this style, but I could be wrong.

I hope these suggestions help
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help