Steering Column Repair/ignition lock cylinder

Question
I have a 92 sierra 6 cyl w/manual transmission. I went to the store today and when I went to leave the key would not turn past the on position to start the truck.  is it the lock cylinder or something else?  can I start it by holding in the clutch and jumping the starter?

Answer
Hi Thomas:
Sorry about your truck
Your assessment sounds correct.  That is the most common part that fails with your symptoms.  I would suggest you attempt to replace that part 1st and when you are in there with the lock cylinder removed, check the rest of the mechanism by turning the linkage with a pair of pliers before you install the new lock.  If it starts then that was your problem.  If it still binds then you need to go further into the column to determine the problem.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan