Steering Column Repair/ignition lock cylinder

I have a 92 sierra 6 cyl w/manual transmission. I went to the store today and when I went to leave the key would not turn past the on position to start the truck.  is it the lock cylinder or something else?  can I start it by holding in the clutch and jumping the starter?

Hi Thomas:
Sorry about your truck
Your assessment sounds correct.  That is the most common part that fails with your symptoms.  I would suggest you attempt to replace that part 1st and when you are in there with the lock cylinder removed, check the rest of the mechanism by turning the linkage with a pair of pliers before you install the new lock.  If it starts then that was your problem.  If it still binds then you need to go further into the column to determine the problem.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help