Steering Column Repair/1989 blazer ignition switch

Hi, I have a 1989 Chevy s-10 blazer (4.3l, tilt) and my ignition switch will not turn when the key is inside. The gear is in park, the steering wheel and Brake pedal are locked up. I've tried multiple "tricks" none seem to prevale. I was wondering if I could maybe drill a hole in the column under the ignition switch to remove the spring in it, it would fix my problem? You're feedback is appreciated

Hello Robert:

There is really no need to drill anything.  Your column easily disassembles to remove the lock (that has probably failed).  You do not have an airbag so the steps are relatively easy to get the old lock out and put a new one in.  If you do not know how to do this, our company provides instructions (for a small fee)with step-by-step photos and descriptions to help you through it.  Here is a link to those instructions  We recommend instructions set 1 and 2 for your job.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help