Steering Column Repair/Ignition lock

Question
A 1996 Honda Civic sustained damage to the ignition lock when it was taken for a joy ride. Now the key doesn't turn to OFF, and the steering wheel doesn't lock in place. We've been told not to drive it like this. Why not?

Answer
Hi Carol:

Sorry about your car.
My guess is they damaged the lock where the key goes in preventing it from functioning properly now. If this is true, then the reasoning behind the cautionary message is because it is possible that the internal steering lock mechanism is damaged as well and may inadvertently jam, causing the steering wheel to randomly lock up while you are driving.  Obviously, that's quite dangerous and whomever told you that is simply trying to protect you from potential harm.

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan