Steering Column Repair/1990 Buick Reatta

Own a 1990 Buick Reatta , one time the ignition key got pulled out while car was still running (actually still driving). Since then car wont start all the time. I have to adjust the wheel up and down, move the gear shifter back and forth sometimes to get it to it wont start at all. was told that the dtm (deterred theft module ) needs to be replaced? can this part be bypass or what other solutions could there be? thank you

Hi Ashlei
If your key has a small black chip on the shaft, then most likely that was a good assessment.
We have recently uploaded pages and a description of how to bypass the VATS system on GM vehicles that have the chip on the key (for a small fee).  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions.

I hope these instructions help you.  If not, please contact me again for more information.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help