Steering Column Repair/GMC 2500 Ignition Switch and Steering Column

Grace wrote at 2014-05-13 18:33:38
Hi Doug,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

The vehicle does have a tilt wheel and when I get home I can forward photos of the affected areas. While it sounds bad, the damage actually appears to be relatively confined to the switch, that actuator tongue and maybe the plastic shroud.

When I hot-wired the car I jumped +12 onto the accessory and ignition wires. Then to start the engine, I put the key into the lock and connected (momentarily) +12 onto the starter wire.

Ordinarily I would have been hesitant to do this, but since those wires will be replaced as part of the new switch, I used a wire-stripper to open gaps in them and then attached test-leads with alligator clips.

Apparently I didn't activate everything since the speedometer and tach along with the power windows and a number of other circuits weren't live. Maybe I put the +12 onto the accessory circuit that's used when the switch is in the ACC position and there's a separate one for the parts that are used when the ignition is ON.

Thanks again,

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help