Steering Column Repair/GMC 2500 Ignition Switch and Steering Column

Grace wrote at 2014-05-13 18:33:38
Hi Doug,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

The vehicle does have a tilt wheel and when I get home I can forward photos of the affected areas. While it sounds bad, the damage actually appears to be relatively confined to the switch, that actuator tongue and maybe the plastic shroud.

When I hot-wired the car I jumped +12 onto the accessory and ignition wires. Then to start the engine, I put the key into the lock and connected (momentarily) +12 onto the starter wire.

Ordinarily I would have been hesitant to do this, but since those wires will be replaced as part of the new switch, I used a wire-stripper to open gaps in them and then attached test-leads with alligator clips.

Apparently I didn't activate everything since the speedometer and tach along with the power windows and a number of other circuits weren't live. Maybe I put the +12 onto the accessory circuit that's used when the switch is in the ACC position and there's a separate one for the parts that are used when the ignition is ON.

Thanks again,

Grace

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan