Steering Column Repair/gm tilt ignition rod

69 camaro tilt  the ignition rod seemed to let go in the column to where the key  just spins. removed the ignition block to start the car and get home. the rod seemed to slip down towards the fire wall now it wont go back up. Do i need to completely disassemble?

Hi Tom:
Sorry about your car.  It sounds like the rack gear inside the column broke allowing the rod to drop.  These parts are supposed to be attached to each other and fixed in the column until you move the key.  The rack gear is the most common part that breaks, but as you suspected, there is no real way to tell until someone disassembles the column.
My company offers instruction for sale on how to repair / overhaul the column and does have all the parts you might need. Here are some links to those pages.
GM tilt column instructions You will be concentrating on the first 5 set of instructions

We do also offer column rebuilding if the task is too large for you.  Here is a link that describes that service in detail (with prices)

Column rebuilding services  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help