Steering Column Repair/95 chevy 1500 steering colume damage

Question
Let me preface this by saying This colume was damaged by a tow service that didn't unlock the steering before pulling it up on the rollback the plate wasn't even one side off the ground up on the curb and it forced the tires to turn right while the keys were in the lock position.Now I cant turn the keys to any position and the steering wheel wont lock either. any suggestions as what to look for inside the colume. As the tow service wont take responsibility for the damage thanks... Bill

Answer
Hello Bill:
Sorry about your experience.

The good news is that I don't believe there is a major problem here at all.  Your column never did lock...they used to, but when they went to the 'clamshell' design (a top and bottom cover) they did away with that mechanism.
As far as the lock not being able to turn, this is a vary common problem.  These locks seize up all the time.  I suggest (as the lock may already be bad), to do the following:
1) spray some wd40 inside the lock where the key goes in
2) insert the key
3) with a small tap hammer, tap the key deeper into the lock, hitting it only as hard as you would if your finger was in the way.  All the while, trying to turn it gently with your other hand.

What you are trying to do is jar the tumblers in the lock to meet the key cuts and drop out of place.
I have has good success like this in the past.
If that does not work, the you should contact a locksmith who can remove the lock without making a production or having to drill it.  As I said, this is not a big problem job.

I hope all this helps
Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan