Steering Column Repair/no start after swaping steering column

I have a 77 chevy 3/4 ton with the 5.7L v8 4 brrl i have recently swapped steering columns n after i put it all together no start. I have radio n dash lights & 12.65 v when i tested the battery even hooked up somme jumper cables  n thothing

Hi Kurt:
Sorry about your truck
It sounds like you have either a bad ignition switch or you blew a fusible link (melted wire) down at the starter when you made the swap.  That's where the power comes from and goes to for the start circuit to work (from the battery through the starter connection to the ignition switch, then back out to the starter when you hit 'crank').

I would check the ignition switch with your volt meter to make sure both the red and the orange wires have power.  If they do, then the switch is bad.  If they don't then the fusible link is your problem.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help