Steering Column Repair/1991 combination switch

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup with a tilt steering column and intermittent wipers.  I had some electrical issues and the wipers came on by themselves very rapidly.  The alternator was putting out way too much power and melted the 80A fuse.  I also saw some smoke rise from the steering column.  After having the alternator issues repaired at a local shop, the wipers still do not work.  I have a few questions.  Firstly, is the issue most likely the combination switch where I saw smoke, or would it be the wiper motor itself?  Also, would a replacement combination switch from a similar year truck fit even if it is listed as "w/o tilt wheel?" The ones I'm looking at are listed to fit my truck but nearly every one says "w/o tilt wheel." I'm thinking that the would fit but I would like an expert opinion.  Thank you.

Hi Ben:
Sorry about your truck.
1) I would suspect the switch is what failed if that's where the smoke came from.
2) From the information I can find, the two switches are in fact different.  Given the fact that you already have electrical issues, I would NOT recommend trying the swap a part that is not appropriate for your vehicle.
3) You said you had the alternator issue fixed.  How did they fix it and what did they find?  I would check to make sure the engine and alternator are grounded properly to the body of the truck.  From the information you shared, I would look into that before replacing any switches.  Without a good ground, all kinds of electrical issues fail and cause problems. (just an idea)

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help