Steering Column Repair/rebuild rack and pinion quality

Hi Douglas

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 2RWD quad cab that has a leaking rack.  While looking at the different companies that remanufacture racks, many do offer lifetime warranties on their parts.  But when it comes to selecting the right company, that has been a challenge.  I cannot tell from the different forums who is a shade tree mechanic (like myself) to professional mechanics.  So I am finding there is alot of personal evidence on which are bad companies.  

My goal is to replace the rack once and not have to do it every 6 months under warranty.

Ultimately,  if your dearly loved grandmother owned and drove this truck, who would you consider some of the better rebuilders?  I understand if you aren't comfortable with naming names. In that case, got any tips/things to watch for/questions to ask before buying?

Thank you so much for your time and input, it is greatly appreciated!

Hi Jason:

I love how you stated your question... ;-)

Sadly though, my specialty is in the steering column only and has been for about 15-20 years.  I have no personal experience with replacing a rack assembly and although I have done a few long ago, i cannot recommend any companies.

I can only suggest you post this question in the general forum for auto repair and see if another expert has more experience to offer in this particular field.

Thanks for trying me though  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help