Steering Column Repair/2006 Jeep Liberty Ignition pin

Does my mechanic need to take the steering wheel off to replace the ignition pin in the ignition cylinder. Or does it have an easier way to take the housing out?

Hi Jennifer

The housing does not need  to come off to replace the pin inside that breaks.  If the housing is still ok, then the inside shaft can be replaced by removing the lock on the right, the switch on the left and the cover on the bottom.
If the housing itself is broken, then yes, the steering wheel and airbag do have to be removed.

We have instructions for sale on our company website if you need them
Here is that link

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help