Steering Column Repair/F-150 ignition switch problems

I have a 1992 F-150, when I put the key in ignition and turn it to on position the truck starts by itself without physically turning the key yourself and when I turn truck off the dash lights stay on like key is still in on position. Is this a bad ignition switch, or tumbler, or blocker assembly where all these wires plug in then split off?

ford ignition switch from steering column
ford ignition switch f  
Hi Shawn:

My best guess (and it's real hard to diagnose an electrical problem over the web), would be a bad ignition switch...the white plastic electrical switch mounted to the column.  That's a pretty popular part that fails and when it fails, it often shorts 2 circuits that should not be together (like run and start).

When you take it off, you may be able to see where it has begun to burn slightly and be discolored.

Let me know if that does it or if a new one does the same thing.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help