Steering Column Repair/Shifter won't come out of park

Had a problem w/my 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L p/u. Wouldn't come out of Park after stepping on the brake. Replaced BTIS solenoid as I found out on the web. Problem still there, only not as bad. If I continue to try putting in gear it does finally go. Is there something else I'm missing? Truck has 155K mileage.

shift mechanism w/ release cable from steering column
shift mechanism w/ rel  
Hi Paul:

The interlock pin on the column sometimes gets bent slightly making it slow to respond or sticky releasing the shifter.  If you can, remove the upper cover and look for a small black plastic cable going from the shifter to the lock housing.  That's the release cable.  You can try to spray some WD40 near the pin in the housing or watch to see if it releases every time you step on the brake.

Aside from that, the cable and shift mechanism would need to be replaced (they don't sell the cable separately)

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help