Steering Column Repair/Ford taurus

Question
I have lost my only key I had to start my 2000 Taurus I have also a 97 Taurus ignition, steering column, ignition key,the pats system (computers) can I put the parts from the 97 into my 2000 to have my car going again? An its my understanding any way I go about this situation I am going have to take it to dealership have key programed.

Answer
Hi Heather:
Sorry about your lost keys.
It's been a while since I worked on a PATS system, but I think a locksmith with the correct coding equipment can just make you a new key coded to the original system without you having to replace anything.
Alternately, I also believe all you would need to change is the lock cylinder  and transponder (around the lock).  Then, using the key that matches, it should start ---even without programming.

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan