Steering Column Repair/Steering Column

Re: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, SS-T V8, tilt column, Column is stuck in the down position, otherwise works fine; any suggestions?

Hello James:

This is a problem that occurs form time to time with a very simple fix.  You have basically hyper-extened the tilt joint.  It has moved beyond the range it should have.
Pull the tilt lever as if you are going to move the column up or down.  
Firmly, push the tilt even lower than it already is.  This will release the tilt lever so it can be pulled back and overcome the last tooth it has gotten jammed on.  Then you will be able to bring the column back up and the tilt lever will work fine once again.
There should be no damage done and if you release the tilt gently from now on, you shouldn't have that issue any more.
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help