Steering Column Repair/broken ignition switch

I bought a used 99 f150 about a year ago that has been running just fine until here lately. Everything else aside, after returning home from work yesterday, I went to leave again and (to my best guess)the ignition switch broke. I put the key in, turned it once and it turned like it normally does, but didn't start. I went to turn it again but it has come loose of any kind of attachment it had. It's like sticking the key in an empty hole in the column. I can feel the key fit into the slot/key hole, but there's no resistance when I turn the key - it's just free-spinning. What might the exact problem be here, and how would I fix it? I have to get to work and this's my only transportation. Please help if you can

Sorry about your truck.  
It sounds like you have a broken ignition actuator.
We have recently uploaded pages and a description of how to remedy this problem in a Ford steering column.  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions on our website.

Also, the part you need to order as well is located on this page.

Simply click on “Order it Now” and order whatever you need online (or email us on our "Contact Us / Order Parts" page).

I hope these instructions help you.  If not, please contact us again for more information.
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help